Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Amusement at the Staten Island Mall


"You're definitely not from the Brooklyn/Staten Island area, " was the line from a sweet Staten Island, Italian mother who was selling me jewelry at the Staten Island Mall right before Christmas. We had been chatting about rubies when she abruptly asked where I was from.

"I'm from here, but I live in Boston now."

I had expected that she would next pose the usual next question, "I mean where are you really from?", usually referring to my unidentifiable ethnic background.

"Oh Bawston. That's far. You're definitely not from the Brooklyn/Staten Island area."

"No no. I was born at St. Vincent's. I went to Notre Dame Academy and Staten Island Tech."

"No." She looked me in the eyes. "You just don't sound it like. No offense."

Moral of my trip to "the Mall": Can't live in Staten Island; can't live without it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home