Saturday, August 07, 2010

True Life: I'm a Staten Island Girl?

I'm sitting in a hotel room in Stowe, Vermont after having a lovely New England day. I was able to go for a 7.5 mile run through the woods, enjoy a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory, and take a rest at the Trapp Family Lodge. I haven't felt this relaxed in a long time. As I plop down on the bed, I turn on the TV and stop flipping channels when I see a familiar face from elementary school. My eyes dart to the bottom right corner of the screen to see the MTV logo. Yes! True Life: I'm a Staten Island Girl is on.

As relaxed as I am feeling already, I realize quickly that I only feel at home once the show is on. But the ladies on the show act and speak in remarkably different ways from the way I do, quickly reminding me of my misfit ways in Staten Island as an adolescent over a decade ago now. There seems to be a mutual awareness though; one father on the show exclaimed to his daughter, being featured on the show for her acting desires, "You've been talking like this for years. You may be normal to us, but you aren't normal to the acting world." I was "the world" in Staten Island who realized while living there that the accent, and the general lifestyle really, just wasn't normal. And I think the current popularity of the series "Jersey Shore", which features a good number of Staten Island natives who represent accurately summer life for Staten Islanders, validates my point.

Still, for better for for worse, those accents make me somehow feel at home. Does that mean that in true life, I'm a Staten Island girl?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home