Saturday, March 11, 2006

I Can Feel It in the Air

I can feel it in the air. Spring has arrived in Boston! I was able to bike without a jacket, hat, and gloves on Friday. I could feel the cool breeze through my hair, well through the holes in my helmet. Today, I was able to wear a thin, long-sleeved shirt and a spring jacket. It's here!

Although this winter was relatively mild for a Boston winter, Spring has been a long time coming. Until Friday, I forgot how wonderful it feels to ride a bike without layers and layers to avoid frost bite and windburn. Until Friday, I forgot what it was like to not wear a winter jacket. I think I started wearing thicker clothing in layers in October, and by the end of October winter coats were a necessity; it snowed on Halloween. I can finally retire my wool coat and ski jacket after 6 months of non-stop abuse.

And to boot, it snowed for the first time in San Francisco in thirty years! Apparently the city shut down since it has no resources, e.g., snow plows or salt, to clear the snow off the roads. San Fran drivers have gotten into several car accidents since they don't seem to understand that snow on the road requires slower driving. Those pampered Californians can't handle it. :) So to all those in San Francisco who always gloat about the glorious weather SF experiences year round, especially compared to the Northeast, I enjoyed the sun and warmth today in your honor. That's exactly what you weren't doing today, for once in your sun-filled lives; my how the tables have turned, for a day. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home