Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mania, In Writing

"Lectures- they're just soul-sucking," says my friend after we attended together our first lecture in over a month. With the last day of second year (and the last real lecture) long gone in late March, we had forgotten what learning from lecture is like.

I must confess that I'm only on my second week of third year, and I've had two light, no call weeks. Thus I can't really speak to what real third year is like yet, but I do know that learning in a clinical setting, though less efficient, sure makes for more interesting and engaging days. Luckily, we're only scheduled to be in lecture one afternoon per week or so in third year (I think). Let's see what I think after my first week of the wards, with call.

NB: Being on call, for those not familiar, for medical students in my hospital means that you are part of the team of healthcare providers that receives new patients onto the floors after normal business hours. Sometimes you get to leave by 10PM; other times you get, if you're lucky, 2 hours of sleep in a room the hospital provides for you; still other times, if you're really lucky, will leave you with no time to sleep at all and have you start the next day of work in that condition. That next day of work is called "post-call" and you usually get to leave 1/2 way through to go home and collapse.

Wow, writing out that likely inaccurate explanation made me long for the days of lecture just a little bit, when I was guaranteed at least 5 hours of sleep to try to recover the soul that was sucked out of me during the day.

Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home