Tuesday, May 02, 2006

23 and No Longer Counting

Thank you to everyone who came out to celebrate my birthday last weekend! Between bar hopping in the pouring rain and painting pottery late at night, I had such a great time. :) Lawrence and I have been inspired to move back to New York ASAP. :)

Although I had a great time, birthdays don't matter as much to me as they used to. As a child, I was always so excited to tack on another year to my name; it was purely a sign of status. In high school, every birthday marked another year closer to getting my driver's license. In college, birthdays were the countdown to the day I could legally buy alcohol without having to worry about being turned away or bother my 21 year old friends for a liquor trip. Now that I've turned 23, what do I have to look forward to- renting a car? Not so monumental.

Now, there aren't really any life events that are standard for everyone at the same time; it's not like you turn 25 and automatically get married. Once out of college (and arguably out of high school), every one goes their own way in life. Getting married, having children, going to some sort of graduate school, and working are just some of the things that vary for everyone. There's really nothing that binds people of the same age once standard schooling is over.

As a child, I wanted to zip through the years and get older. For most of high school, I couldn't wait to get to college. For most of college, I couldn't wait to graduate. (My senior years of both, of course, are the exception. You never want something to end while it's actually ending.) There was always something to look forward to. For me, I think it was always about the independence. Turning 17, I was able to drive on my own and get around without grubbing a ride or taking the bus. Being 18 marked the first time I lived on my own at college. At 21, I could buy my own drinks at my convenience. Now, I forget that I'm 23- partly out of denial and partly because I'm about as independent as I can get. There is no longer any particular age that marks any sort of significant event left for me, except maybe retirement at 65, but that's too far away for me to even comprehend.

If anything, now I just want to slow my life down and enjoy every minute. Perhaps that's what birthdays are all about now for me, a yearly reminder to live my life to the fullest. Tonight, for example, Lawrence and I are both swamped with work and errands, but we're still going to an Aqualung concert, whose music we love. He's playing at a small theatre 10 minutes from our house, and we're not sure when we'd get to see him next. It was appropriate that my birthday is what inspired Lawrence and me to move home to New York as soon as we can. We know that we'll eventually settle in NY, but we'd be sad if the few years we were actually away from NY were the best ones we could have spent there- just living it up with friends before settling down with real responsibilities.

Although birthdays no longer serve as a milestone for other significant events, I do feel that being in my 20s puts me in my prime. I have barely started my life after all. :) I've just been in the workforce one year, and who knows what will come my way next. Plus, my birthdays are still fun and full of alcohol. :) Yup, I'm riding this wave for as long as I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home