Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Yes, the "True Life: I'm a Staten Island Girl" Episode is Accurate

I finally watched "True Life - I'm a Staten Island Girl" two days ago with my sisters. I'm sad to say that the show accurately portrayed your typical Staten Island girl. Many of the girls here do have the accent, the burnt-straight, highlighted/dyed hair, the carefully done nails, pounds of make-up, tanning-salon-orange skin, and the mentality that all girls are competition for guys. Many of the guys here are of the type that Angela (character in the show) is attracted to. They have the same accent, spiky and overly gelled hair, the muscles (often on display through white, sleeveless wife-beater shirts), the golden chain, the tanning-salon-orange skin, and the huge ego. I grew up fully immersed in this Italian-American/Staten Island subculture. It's a wonder I turned out (relatively) normal and got off the Island.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Keywords are "got off the Island" which is the nightmare I'm living right now living here after graduating and have to endure the horror know as Staten Island. That is... for anyone who doesn't get excited about the concentration of orange people, horrifically twisted variations of the english language, ego's that rival the amount of 'fiscal' support received from parents.

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home