Monday, October 23, 2006

New England Adventures

When living in Boston, one of the best feelings Lawrence and I experience is leaving it. (Of course one of the worst feelings is returning to it. To quote our good friend and neighbor, "My heart sinks a little everytime I come back. I can't believe I live here.") As such, we've made a concerted effort to get out of Boston nearly every weekend, even just for a day, and explore what else New England has to offer. We've been pleasantly surprised with what we've found.

A little over a month ago, we took our same neighbor friends, whose hearts sink upon returning to Boston, camping in Freeport, Maine. We had a great time, camping on the shores of Freeport, doing a little shopping, and cooking fresh-caught lobster over a campfire.

Three weeks ago or so, Lawrence and I took a day trip to Northeastern Connecticut. We had a great time going through a corn maze (a maize maze if you will :P), eating outside along a river lined with great foliage, exploring a dam, and enjoying a wine tasting.

Two weeks ago we went rock climbing for the first time at the quarries in Quincy, which is still on the red line. I've never used my fingers and toes to support all my weight or to scale a vertical rock. It was cool. Afterwards we had a BBQ and watched the sunset.

This weekend, we went apple picking, wine tasting, picnicing, and camping in Northeastern Massachusetts. Grant it the weather got to below freezing on Saturday night, leaving us quite chilly, but nonetheless we still had a great time building a campfire and grilling hot dogs, burgers, and sausages over it. We were camping basically on the beach, and Lawrence and I went for a walk along the serene shore shortly after sunrise. I never realized how calming and peaceful beaches can be in colder weather. It's probably beacause no one is silly enough to be there. :)

Throughout the summer, we've also enjoyed various activities in New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and the Cape. (I think I've written about it before.) Honestly, although I love summer weather, the fall is really the best time to explore New England. The weather is pleasant, with a crisp, cool air all around and the beautiful foliage just blanketing the landscape. I'm sad the winter is lurking, waiting to pounce, but I suppose that does make for some good ski trips. :)

Don't worry, I'm not being enticed by New England- I'm just biding my time until I can return to my beloved City. Boston itself doesn't have much to offer (except the joy of leaving it), and collectively, ALL of New England does have something to offer. I figured I might as well it enjoy it while I'm here because I'm certainly not coming back once I leave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home