Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Going the TransAmerican Distance Sidenote

I went for my first run today in 2 weeks. I've been sick and have been itching to run, but with a test every week at the moment, I figured it'd be better to focus on studying and rest my body. I've had my slowest run in a while, but I was just happy to finish my course. It's funny how quickly the body falls out of shape. I guess it's a sign that I'm getting old.

Anyway, I just tried to upload my data to the nike website to see just how much I've regressed in my progress, and MY DATA WAS GONE. I freaked out! I've mentioned how I am an obsessive progress tracker, and I didn't know what to do. I found a phone number to call on the website. I spoke with a laid back representative who said that they've been having technical difficulties with their servers all morning and that all the calls coming in have been freaked out runners who thought they lost their data. In a very calm tone, he reassured me that my data was not lost and that the disconnect was between the servers housing the data and the information coming in from my ipod. Everything should be up and running, with no data loss, by COB. I was so relieved.

It hit me though that there are others out there who share the same data-tracking obsession, if not more passionate. I didn't think I sounded freaked out on the phone, but the representative sounded like he'd gone through this sort of call several times already today with people who were more upset. He kept reassuring me that everything would be ok, even though I only asked once if my data were lost. Nice to know I'm not the only obsessed person out there, and hopefully not the worst either. :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been kind of wanting to get one of those nike Ipod things, but I dont have a nano, and am unsure about spending anout 200+ bucks when I already have an Ipod.
Is the thing accurate? I find that my stride length changes at times when i want to run faster or slower =/ If I were going to get into datalogging, i would probably get a Garmin Forerunner :)

My data logging consists solely of my google calendar and the transamerica thing. Speaking of which, I went on a great run on sunday with my sister on the Old Croton Aquaduct from Tarrytown to Dobbs Ferry and back. I also recently got running thermals (pants that are reflective, sweat wicking, and keeps you warm) great investment . I think they are to be commando, or atleast some kind of sweat wicking briefs. sweat + cotton = walking around like you just rode a horse lady godiva style.

or bodyglide works just as well.

-Andrew

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but ipods are irresistible! actually, i've bought another ipod (the new shuffle). i'm usually pretty good about resisting the urge to early-adopt, but this thing was so small! ($50 ipod rebate helped too!)

oh and thermals are ALWAYS commando. in fact, depending on the wearer, most pants are probably too.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Took me a second to figure out what happened here, thanks for forwarding me Lawerence's reply :)
---

I acutually had a Shuffle as well, but I gave it to my mom becuase she wanted it.

The small size, easy operation and the neck strap make it perfect for bike riding. Eaiser to touch your chest than opposite arm :) I might even get another one, it's so cheap!

The hardest part now is trying to find a top or jacket that i can wear. Most runners are not big barges like I am, and thus it pushes me into the XL-XXL range which almost no running shop stocks. =/

-Andrew

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home