Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I Love Travel

Lately, I feel as though I've been stuck in Boston. With this chemistry class still two and a half weeks from completion, which translates into roughly half a semester's worth of work in 10 days, I feel like I'm never getting out of Boston. I'm itching to travel again. Lawrence's and my trip to Europe was just so amazing and inspiring that we in fact want to live abroad for a while. We ever so briefly entertained the idea of dropping everything now and just moving abroad, but the sensible, practical side of us quickly dismissed the thought.

In the meantime, however, we hope to travel at every opportunity we get, the next of which is the time between my final and my return to work. Given that we dropped a bit of money on our last trip, we hope to conserve some money on this next one. One possible destination is Maine, where we would hike, lie on the beach, and eat lobster. We're also entertaining a trip to Quebec where Montreal, Quebec City, and some hiking/camping would be on the itinerary. I'm open to suggestions. :)

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel to so many places and gain perspective on how life works in various parts of the world. I think it's particularly important to be able to reflect on the way you live your life in order to appreciate what you have and to spot areas in need of improvement. After our trip to Europe, for example, I felt particularly lucky to have grown up in the States. For all the problems this country has, its racial tension isn't nearly as high as those in some Eastern European countries. Although for a hefty premium, Americans have access to some of the best education in the world right in our own backyards. And we mainly get free refills on our soda drinks and water. You laugh about this last one now, but wait until you're backing through Europe in 90 degree weather and drink 12 euros worth of water. (This latter part is of course from experience.)

On the other hand, of course, there are many things that US has done that we citizens can't be proud of. Our war in Iraq has caused a strong tension between us and the rest of the world. Lawrence and I met a Polish guy in Germany who called Dubya a terrorist.

I'm so grateful that Lawrence and I are able to travel to gain this sort of perspective and apply it to our everyday lives. I hope everyone gets the chance to travel one day, even if only once, to be able to develop an appreciation for a life lived differently from theirs. I really think it may just make the world a little bit better of a place.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lawrence David said...

I was thinking of perhaps taking a road trip across the US. It only takes 5 days or so, apparently. My cousins here also say that the Northwest is beautiful ...

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home