Saturday, February 17, 2007

Why l Love New York (this trip)

I love New York. I always have a great time when I come home. My family and closest friends are here, and this is where I grew up.

Every time I become complacent with Boston, I manage to make a trip to NY and remind myself of what I'm missing here. It always makes it that much harder to leave again.

You can get around here 24 hours a day on public transportation that can take you almost anywhere you want to go in the 5 boroughs. You can get whatever kind of food you want anytime of the day. Anything and everything you'd ever want to buy, you can find here. The diversity of the types of people who live here are unparalleled. I could go on and on, but these are all general reasons I can cite with each trip I take here and ones that most people cite about why they love this place. Here are a couple specific examples of what makes New York the great place it is.

1) As we were driving home through Brooklyn yesterday, Lisa found a Russian radio station (87.7) that was playing a mix of Russian trance and Latino dance music. She also found two reggaeton stations. I don't even think 1/2 the people in Boston know what reggaeton is.

2) Lisa, my mom, and I were food shopping in the Chinatown in Brooklyn and saw several people selling fresh, cheap produce out of their vans that were illegally parked on the street. Each person appeared to just focus on two or three items, and there was no dearth of customers at each van. Boston's one Chinatown doesn't even have the open store fronts with fresh produce and fish on display for sale.

3) Everyone here has EZ-Pass, so traffic flows much more smoothly around toll junctions. In Massachusetts, most do not own the state's version of EZ-Pass, Fast Lane. Non-Fast -Laners almost always make the EZ-Pass lanes inaccessible because they either accidentally go there or there are so many of them that they back traffic up far enough so people with EZ-Pass can't get through.

I'm still only 1/2 way through my trip. I'm sure I'll have more little examples I can rattle off on the drive back to Boston tomorrow.


1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

watching people dance to reggaeton can be kind of intimdating :)

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home