Friday, March 23, 2007

Being American

While at work a couple of weeks ago, I was introduced to one of our study participants as the new clinical research assistant.

Nurse: "This is our new research assistant, Christina."
Participant: "Hi, Chris. Is it ok if I call you Chris? We shorten things here in America."

Unbelievable! As our 4 hour visit proceeded, I got to know the participant better and realized the she probably was just trying to make conversation and didn't mean to be derogatory. Nonetheless, she clearly labeled me a foreigner, and ironically she is not Caucasian. I couldn't help but be offended. I was born in this country just as she was, and to be honest, I speak English more eloquently than she does (which, if you read my blog, is really a feat to speak more poorly than I do :) ) and am more educated than she is. I should be just as American as she is, but she clearly didn't see me that way.

Lawrence and I have encountered this quite a bit throughout our young lives. Although this is very offensive to me, I still find that people in this country are much more aware and tolerant of diversity than in other countries. During our World Cup adventure, we encountered many people who couldn't believe that Lawrence and I are American. They would always assume we were supporting Korea. Additionally, we got to talking with a Dutch fellow who thought he was so tolerant since he "knew black people". And he was among the more aware and tolerant of those we met at the World Cup.

Still, racist stereotypes still clearly exist here and abroad. I find that they are least obvious in NY, where no one takes a second look at you- partially out of a fear of being jumped for giving a second look, but more importantly because everyone is used to the diversity.

I think this has contributed to my lack of a real national pride. In this country, I don't feel American- if anything I'm a New Yorker (can you tell from this blog? :) ). Outside of this country, I like to think of myself as American, but no one else seems to believe it. And in the Philippines, I still stick out because I'm considered American.

I believe I'm experiencing what most 1st/2nd generation kids go through when coming to this country. It's an interesting generation-wide phenomenon. It honestly doesn't affect my day to day living all that much, but every once in a while it comes up, like with our participant, and makes me a feel a little lost, like I don't really belong anywhere.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, first I want to say that I finally saw your comment like 2 years after you posted it. Talk about delayed. I appreciate your encouragement.

Secondly, I agree that American's are condescending, to say the least. I am not proud to be one, though being in conservative Cincinnati, I am sometimes looked at strangely for advertising such views.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home