Sunday, March 25, 2007

I Heart The Decemberists

As my first act of Spring Break, I went with Lawrence to the two Decemberists concerts at Avalon Friday and Saturday. I absolutely love this band. Their "hyperliterate prog-rock" tugs at my hipster-wannabe heart stings. They are also wonderful performers. Each band member is a character and collectively they have this great dynamic and energy that transcends the crowd. Plus I have a little crush on lead singer Colin Meloy, which Lawrence is ok with since he has a crush on Jenny Conlee.

Originally, Lawrence and I were only supposed to attend the Friday night performance, but I unfortunately fell ill during the concert- I nearly fainted. We had to leave our third row standing spots to step to the side so I could get water and air. This caused us to miss the last two songs of the night, one of which is "The Mariner's Revenge"- one of Lawrence's most favorite songs, ever. We looked for the tickets for the next night's performance, which were surprisingly easy to do given that it was sold out, and we got to see the band perform a new set in addition to Lawrence's favorite song, with whale costumes and "dead" Decemberists band members and all. (Scroll of the bottom of Lawrence's post for the video.) It was amazing. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home