Friday, April 20, 2007

I've Been Egged

I was running around the park in front of our house today. As I finished my first lap, out of the corner of my eye I noticed some mischievous children paying attention to me. Within a couple of seconds, I was hit, with an egg or two. The three African-American school aged kids who threw the egg ran away, all dressed in stereotypical giant t-shirts and oversized black basketball shoes. I chased after them for a little bit across the park, but I was covered in egg from head to toe, literally, and my arm was bleeding. In the middle of the park is a youth center, so I went in and cleaned up.

To top it all off, I accidentally locked myself out of our apartment right before running, but luckily my landlord was around when I returned to let me back in the apartment. I called Lawrence, who convinced me to file a police report. I didn't even bother to call the police initially- I didn't know they could do anything about kids throwing eggs. I returned to the youth center in hopes of seeing the kids again, and called the cops from there. A very nice police officer showed up and helped me file the report.

Unfortunately I didn't see the kids again and wouldn't be able to identify them by face since I was running and only saw them out of the corner of my eye. Apparently there is a "community relations" department in the Cambridge Police organization that could have organized school related punishments for them, like detention, if I could recognize them. I didn't even know such a thing existed. Though Cambridge has delinquent kids, it has set up a good system to deal with them.

This stinks. Either I did something really awful, or karma's got something great coming my way. Maybe I'll get into a choice med school. :-/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home